CMAQ Developers Guide
EPA welcomes submissions of new code to the CMAQ system from the user community. To facilitate the integration of new code into a future CMAQ public release, our team created the CMAQ Developers Guide. The Developers Guide describes general development practices within the CMAQ system and step-by-step instructions on how to contribute source code to the EPA CMAQ code repository hosted on GitHub. Prospective developers are asked to read the guide prior to starting a project within the CMAQ framework.
General guidelines for new code submissions include:
- Check that the code is consistent with the current model version.
- Use consistency in coding practices for any new code.
- Document all code testing activities including results showing:
- A benchmark case for the revised code (including documentation of input data, output data and runscripts).
- Impacts on computational time performance.
- Viability on different platform-compiler combinations (at least Intel, GNU and Portland Group Fortran).
- Document or provide references to the peer-reviewed literature supporting new science algorithms.
- Provide ongoing support and technical guidance for the use of the code updates.
The CMAQ Developers Guide is available through GitHub with the official release of CMAQv5.2.1 (March 19, 2018).