Coal Mine Methane Project Resources
The Coalbed Methane Outreach Program (CMOP) strives to provide stakeholders with the necessary tools and resources to maximize profitable methane reductions, including:
- U.S. CMM Project Opportunities provides information about current projects and potential opportunities to develop CMM recovery and utilization projects at active U.S. coal mines.
- CMM Cash Flow Model enables you to evaluate the potential economic viability of recovering and beneficially using CMM at a specific site in one of eight ways.
- Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator allows you to convert figures among the many different units of measure in reference to CMM, power generation, etc.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Programs that Include Coal Mine Methane (January 2021)
- Coal Mine Methane (CMM) Finance Guide (July 2019)
- Financing Coal Mine Methane Projects (February 2005)
Policy and Programs
- Coal Mine Methane Developments in the United States (July 2019)
- State Renewable Energy Programs (July 2019)
- Emerging Incentives for the Development of CMM Emission Reduction Projects (July 2019)
- Department of Energy (DOE) domestic energy prices — This link offers access to DOE's Short-Term Energy Outlook, an annual document that contains various data on domestic electricity and natural gas prices.
- United States Coalbed Methane maps — The two maps accessible from this DOE Web site show the location and size of CBM fields, CBM production, coal basins, and both abandoned and active gassy coal mines.
- NIOSH's methane control and prediction (MCP) software for longwall coal mines is intended to predict ventilation emissions from longwall mines and optimal degasification design for a longwall panel, and to assess the production performance of gob gas ventholes.
- U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Data Retrieval System for U.S. mines