We've made some changes to EPA.gov. If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

EPA's website will operate in a diminished capacity on Saturday Feb 17, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. to noon EST for routine maintenance. Some services, such as search, may be temporarily unavailable for brief periods during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

How to Use EMTS to Report Transactions for Fuel Programs

EMTS v4.4 released on January 27, 2017

On January 27, 2017, EPA released a new version of the EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) that contains several back-end enhancements.

For a full list of functionality enhancements, click the following link:

The EPA Moderated Transaction System (EMTS) was designed to allow companies to report and track transactions for Fuel Programs. Currently, there are two types of transactions that are reported in EMTS:

  • Renewable Identification Number (RIN) transactions under the Renewable Fuel Standard
  • Fuels Averaging, Banking, and Trading (ABT) credit transactions under the Gasoline Sulfur program

Follow these steps to report transactions for Fuel Programs using EMTS:

STEP 1: Determine whether the submitter has access to EMTS.

A user must be registered and assigned the proper roles to access EMTS.

For more information, see: User associations for Fuel Programs systems

STEP 3: Submit transactions in EMTS.

Click these links or the tabs above for program-specific instructions: