Guidance & Training
On this page:
Pre-CERCLA Screening (PCS)
- Pre-CERCLA Screening Guidance (December 2016) (PDF)(27 pp, 1.8 MB, About PDF)
- Improving Site Assessment: Pre-CERCLIS Screening Assessments (PDF)(7 pp, 37 K, About PDF)
Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection (PA/SI)
- Preliminary Assessment Petition (PDF)(4 pp, 463 K, About PDF)
- Guidance for Performing Preliminary Assessments Under CERCLA (PDF)(293 pp, 7.8 MB, About PDF)
- Improving Site Assessment: Abbreviated Preliminary Assessments
- Guidance for Performing Site Inspections Under CERCLA
- Improving Site Assessment: Combined PA/SI Assessments
- Improving Site Assessment: Integrating Removal and Remedial Site Evaluations
- Integrating Removal and Remedial Site Assessment Investigations (PDF)(8 pp, 318 K, About PDF)
Hazard Ranking System Guidance Manual
The Hazard Ranking System Guidance Manual provides general and technical guidance for individuals involved in determining HRS scores and preparing HRS scoring packages. The manual clarifies terms and concepts in the HRS, presents strategies and specific guidance for scoring select HRS factors, and provides guidelines to assist in collecting and organizing relevant data. For more information on HRS Acronyms and Terms, please visit the Hazard Ranking System Glossary of Terms and Acronyms page.
- Hazard Ranking System Guidance Manual (PDF) (533 pp, 7.6 MB, About PDF)
- Amendments to Superfund Hazard Ranking System Guidance Incorporating Native American Traditional Lifeways (PDF)(24 pp, 802 K, About PDF)
Additionally, the following collection of fact sheets provide a quick reference guide for HRS scoring and HRS related topics. The fact sheets were published from November 1990 to April 2000.
- Establishing Areas of Observed Contamination (PDF) (7 pp, 46 K, About PDF)
- Establishing Background Levels (PDF) (7 pp, 40 K, About PDF)
- Establishing an Observed Release (PDF) (7 pp, 47 K, About PDF)
- Evaluating Ground Water Plumes Under the HRS (PDF) (5 pp, 28 K, About PDF)
- Evaluating Karst Geology Using the HRS (PDF) (4 pp, 26 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: An Improved Tool for Screening Superfund Sites (PDF) (4 pp, 24 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: Background Information (PDF) (11 pp, 79 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: Evaluating Sites After Waste Removals (PDF) (10 pp, 56 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: Questions and Answers (PDF) (7 pp, 37 K, About PDF)
- Soil Screening Guidance (PDF) (7 pp, 42 K, About PDF)
- Using Qualified Data to Document an Observed Release and Observed Contamination (PDF) (18 pp, 89 K, About PDF)
HRS SsI Tools and Resources
These tools and resources provide information to assist in evaluating a site using the HRS SsI component:
- Indoor Air Building Survey (PDF) (6 pp, 1.2 MB, About PDF)
- SsI Site Screening Evaluation (PDF) (1 pg, 153 K, About PDF)
HRS Scoring and Documentation Tools
The HRS Scoring and Documentation Tools collection currently contains the Superfund Chemical Data Matrix (SCDM) and HRS Quickscore.
Online Training Courses
- Pre-CERCLA Screening Webinar– Training webinar on the recent "Pre-CERCLA Screening Guidance" issued by EPA in December 2016.
- Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection Webinar Series– The CERCLA Education Center (CEC) Preliminary Assessment and Site Inspection (PA/SI) Webinar Series provides an introduction to the Superfund site assessment process and describes the preliminary assessment and site inspection phases of this process. The course will incorporate a mix of lecture and exercises using Quickscore for each of the four pathways.
- Superfund Hazard Ranking System Training Course – The Hazard Ranking System (HRS) Internet Training Course provides participants with the knowledge and tools needed to use the HRS via an interactive Internet-based platform. This online course references the same training materials used in the classroom HRS training course available in most EPA Regions each year. The Internet-based course complements information in the HRS Rule and the HRS Guidance Manual.
- HRS Subsurface Intrusion (SsI) Training Modules – The Hazard Ranking System (HRS) was revised to add a subsurface intrusion component to the HRS on December 7, 2016. The HRS Subsurface Intrusion (SsI) training modules are meant to complement the existing Superfund HRS Training Course.
- National Site Assessment Symposium– The purpose of the Symposium is to provide an opportunity for the sharing of information among Federal, State, and Tribal stakeholders about new and changing approaches and policies in Superfund hazardous waste cleanup that affect site assessment activities.
- CLU-IN– The Contaminated Site Clean-Up Information (CLU-IN) Web Site provides information about innovative treatment and site characterization technologies to the hazardous waste remediation community.
- Trainex– In partnership with the Interstate Technology Regulatory Council, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides a range of training information to EPA, other federal agency, state, tribal, and local staff involved in hazardous waste management and remediation. This site includes training schedules for deliveries of many courses - both classroom and Internet-based.