HRS Rule Documents
HRS Final Rule January 9, 2017
The subsurface intrusion component addition to the HRS was published in the Federal Register (FR) on January 9, 2017 . This action took effect on May 22, 2017. The 2017 revision added a component for evaluation of threats based on subsurface intrusion (SsI) into regularly occupied structures. The Groundwater Migration, Surface Water Migration and Air Migration Pathway evaluations remain unchanged from the 1990 Final Rule. The changes to the 2017 revision from the 1990 version include:
- The addition of SsI as a component to Chapter 5, renaming the pathway from the Soil Exposure Pathway to the Soil Exposure and Subsurface Intrusion Pathway. Soil exposure is now a component of the new pathway, but the evaluation remains unchanged.
- The SsI component integrated into Chapter 2 – Evaluations Common to All Pathways
- Terms specific to the SsI component integrated into Chapter 1 – Definitions
- The SsI component integrated into Chapter 7 – Sites Containing Radioactive Substances
The document provided below includes the 2017 final HRS Rule, as well as the preambles from the 1990 HRS Rule and the 2017 Revision:
- Revised HRS Final Rule, 40 CFR 300 (7-1-19 Edition) (PDF) (197 pp, 21.6 MB, About PDF)
HRS Final Rule December 14, 1990
This revision to the Hazard Ranking System (HRS) was published in the Federal Register (Volume 55, Number 241) on Friday, December 14, 1990. The 1990 revision fulfilled mandates included in the 1986 Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA), resulting in a revision to every HRS evaluation factor.
- Revised HRS Final Rule, 55 FR 51532 (December 14, 1990) (136 pp, 15.5 MB, About PDF)