The HRS Toolbox page provides current guidance documents that may be used to determine if a site is a candidate for inclusion on the National Priorities List.
- NPL Home
- Basic NPL Information
- HRS Toolbox
- NPL Site Status Information
- Federal Register Notices for NPL Updates
- HRS Subsurface Intrusion Component
HRS Rule, December 14, 1990
HRS Scoring and Documentation Tools
NPL Listing Policy Documents
The Hazard Ranking System Guidance Manual provides general and technical guidance for individuals involved in determining HRS scores and preparing HRS scoring packages. The manual clarifies terms and concepts in the HRS, presents strategies and specific guidance for scoring select HRS factors, and provides guidelines to assist in collecting and organizing relevant data. For more information on HRS Acronyms and Terms, access the Glossary of HRS Acronyms and Terms (A-L) and Glossary of HRS Acronyms and Terms (M-Z).
You may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Hazard Ranking System Guidance Manual (PDF) (533 pp, 7.6 MB, About PDF)
- Amendments to Superfund Hazard Ranking System Guidance Incorporating Native American Traditional Lifeways (PDF) (24 pp, 802 K, About PDF)
This revision to the Hazard Ranking System (HRS) was published in the Federal Register (Volume 55, Number 241) on Friday, December 14, 1990.
- Revised HRS Final Rule, 55 FR 51532 (December 14, 1990) (PDF) (136 pp, 15.5 MB, About PDF)
This collection of fact sheets provides a quick reference guide for HRS scoring and HRS related topics. The fact sheets were published from November 1990 to April 2000.
- Establishing Areas of Observed Contamination (PDF) (7 pp, 46 K, About PDF)
- Establishing Background Levels (PDF) (7 pp, 40 K, About PDF)
- Establishing an Observed Release (PDF) (7 pp, 47 K, About PDF)
- Evaluating Ground Water Plumes Under the HRS (PDF) (5 pp, 28 K, About PDF)
- Evaluating Karst Geology Using the HRS (PDF) (4 pp, 26 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: An Improved Tool for Screening Superfund Sites (PDF) (4 pp, 24 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: Background Information (PDF) (11 pp, 79 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: Evaluating Sites After Waste Removals (PDF) (10 pp, 56 K, About PDF)
- Revised HRS: Questions and Answers (PDF) (7 pp, 37 K, About PDF)
- Soil Screening Guidance (PDF) (7 pp, 42 K, About PDF)
- Using Qualified Data to Document an Observed Release and Observed Contamination (PDF) (18 pp, 89 K, About PDF)
The HRS Scoring and Documentation Tools collection currently contains the NPL Characteristics Data Collection Form, the Superfund Chemical Data Matrix (SCDM) and HRS Quickscore.
- NPL Characteristics Data Collection Form (Ver. 3.0, 12/2001) (PDF) (33 pp, 270 K, About PDF)
- Superfund Chemical Data Matrix (SCDM)
- HRS Quickscore
The NPL Listing Policy Documents currently contains a Policy for Withdrawing a Proposal to List a Site on the NPL, a Policy for Obtaining a Govenor's Letter prior to Listing on the NPL, and a Policy for Clarifying the Definition of "Site" under the NPL.