Effluent Guidelines Implementation & Compliance
On this page:
- Implementation of Effluent Guidelines
- Integrated Compliance Information System
- DMR Pollutant Loading Tool
- Compliance and Enforcement
Implementation occurs under two related EPA programs, depending on the way an industrial facility discharges its wastewater:
- Direct dischargers to a water body are subject to the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program.
- Indirect dischargers to a municipal treatment plant (publicly owned treatment worksA treatment works, as defined by Section 212 of the CWA, that is owned by the state or municipality. This definition includes any devices and systems used in the storage, treatment, recycling, and reclamation of municipal sewage or industrial wastes of a liquid nature. It also includes sewers, pipes, and other conveyances only if they convey wastewater to a POTW treatment plant [40 CFR 403.3]. Privately-owned treatment works, Federally-owned treatment works, and other treatment plants not owned by municipalities are not considered POTWs.) fall under the Pretreatment Program.
- For industry-specific information, refer to Industrial Effluent Guidelines.
The Discharge Monitoring Report (DMR) Pollutant Loading Tool is designed to help you determine who is discharging, what pollutants they are discharging and how much, and where they are discharging. It uses data from ICIS-NPDES and PCS.
- Water Enforcement Policy, Guidance and Publications
- Compliance Assistance Centers
Websites targeted to industry and government sectors