Industrial Effluent Guidelines
Effluent Guidelines are national standards for industrial wastewater discharges to surface waters and publicly owned treatment works (municipal sewage treatment plants). We issue Effluent Guidelines for categories of existing sources and new sources under Title III of the Clean Water Act. The standards are technology-based (i.e. they are based on the performance of treatment and control technologies); they are not based on risk or impacts upon receiving waters.
On this page:
- Meat and Poultry Products
- Metal Finishing
- Organic Chemicals, Plastics and Synthetic Fibers (OCPSF)
- Steam Electric Power Generating
- Electrical and Electronic Components
- Nutrient Removal and Secondary Technologies
- Textile Mills
For some of the regulations, the links in the 'Category Overview' column provide a summary of the regulation and available EPA publications for the category.
- The links under '40 CFR' go directly to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). 'Initial' indicates the year of the first rulemaking for the category, and 'Last' indicates the most recent substantive revision.
- Multi-Industry Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Study (2021)
- Oil and Gas Extraction Wastewater Management - Onshore Facilities (2020)
- Chlorine and Chlorinated Hydrocarbon Manufacturing (2012)
- Carbon Disulfide Discharges from Cellulose Products Manufacturers (2011)
- Drinking Water Treatment Residuals Management (2011)
- Unused Pharmaceutical Disposal at Health Care Facilities (2009)
- Tobacco Products Processing (2006)
- Industrial Container and Drum Cleaning (2002)
- Industrial Laundries (2000)
- Urban Stormwater Best Management Practices (1999)