EPA's Watershed Partners
Working with our many federal partners is essential for improving water quality in the San Francisco Bay Delta Watershed. Some of the most important federal partners in the San Francisco Bay Delta Watershed include the US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Marine Fisheries Service, Natural Resource Conservation Service, and US Geological Survey.
EPA works with the US Army Corps of Engineers to jointly administer the Clean Water Act Wetlands Regulatory Program, lead the San Francisco Bay Long Term Management Strategy, and make progress on the Delta Long Term Management Strategy.
We work closely with the US Fish and Wildlife Service and National Marine Fisheries Service to protect aquatic life and aquatic-dependent wildlife that are listed as threatened and endangered species under the Endangered Species Act.
EPA coordinates with the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) to leverage grant funding for water quality improvements using EPA grant programs and NRCS programs such as the Bay Delta Initiative.
And EPA uses water quality and aquatic habitat research conducted by the US Geological Survey on contaminants and habitat conditions in the watershed.
Links to our federal partner agencies:
- Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District
- Army Corps of Engineers San Francisco District
- Bureau of Reclamation
- NOAA West Coast Fisheries Central Valley Office
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Bay Delta Office
- USGS Water Quality of the San Francisco Bay and Delta
EPA works with many state agencies to ensure the goals of the CWA are met. Our primary partners administering the Clean Water Act in the San Francisco Bay Delta Watershed are the State Water Resources Control Board, the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board, and the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board.
Links to our state partner agencies:
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Delta Conservancy
- Delta Protection Commission
- Delta Science Program
- Delta Stewardship Council
- Department of Water Resources Bay Delta Office
- Department of Pesticide Regulation
- Interagency Ecological Program
- San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board
- San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission
- San Joaquin River Conservancy
- State Water Resources Control Board Bay Delta Program
There are many organizations working to protect and preserve the watershed. EPA maintains ongoing partnerships with many of these organizations to more efficiently achieve shared goals.
- American Rivers
- The Bay Institute
- Central Valley Joint Venture
- National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council
- Natural Heritage Institute
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- The Nature Conservancy
- Public Policy Institute of California
- San Francisco Estuary Institute
- San Francisco Estuary Partnership one of 28 estuaries receiving support nationally from EPA as part of the National Estuary Program.
- San Joaquin Restoration Program
- Water Education Foundation