Superfund Site Assessment Training and Guidance
- Superfund Site Assessment Process
- Pre-CERCLA Screening
- Cleanup Alternatives
- State, Tribal and Other Federal Agency Cleanups
- Site Assessment Training and Guidance
- HRS Quickscore
Hazard Ranking System Training Course Overview
The Hazard Ranking System (HRS) Internet Training Course provides participants with the knowledge and tools needed to use the HRS via an interactive Internet-based platform. This online course references the same training materials used in the classroom HRS training course available in most EPA Regions each year. The Internet-based course complements information in the HRS Rule and the HRS Guidance Manual.
- Introduces the HRS Rule and the HRS Guidance Manual.
- Provides an interactive online learning experience.
- Show how the HRS defines what has to be observed, measured, sampled and reported during site inspections.
- Illustrates the types of information to be documented during HRS package preparation.
- Allows participants to work at their own pace and on a schedule that works best for them.
When people complete the course, they will have a better understanding of the HRS rule and be able to use the HRS Guidance Manual to resolve questions that may come up during site inspection-related activities or the compilation of an HRS package. The training course has 20 sections; each one is linked to excerpts from the HRS Guidance Manual. Examples throughout reinforce key concepts.
Table of Contents: This is where you should begin the course. You can return to the Table of Contents at any time by clicking on the "Table of Contents" button at the bottom of each page.
Read through the Introduction page and then proceed to the first of the topics in the section. To complete a section, read through all of the topics and all of the linked pages related to the HRS Rule and HRS Guidance Manual. Each section builds on the previous section, so we suggest that you proceed in order from section 1 to section 20. If you are interested in a specific topic, access the relevant section.
There are exercises – question and answer sessions – on the last page of most course sections. These pages will test your knowledge of the material. Other questions and answers are interspersed throughout the course materials. To get the most out of the HRS Internet Training Course, you should have a copy of the HRS Rule (55 FR 51532) and the HRS Guidance Manual to refer to while going from page to page.