TRI Basic Plus Data Files: Calendar Years 1987 - 2017
Note: We're currently working to update the Basic Plus files for 1987 to 2016 to include any revisions or withdrawals we've received from facilities since the last update in March 2018. The organization of the data elements in these files will be slightly different after the update. The organization will match what we've already applied to the 2017 Basic Plus files, explained in the newly revised Basic Plus user guides.
EPA has been collecting Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) data since 1987. The "Basic Plus" data files accessible from this webpage include eight types of files that collectively contain all of the data fields from the TRI Reporting Form R and Form A (except Schedule 1). The files themselves are in tab-delimited .txt format and then compressed into a .zip file.
Quantities of dioxin and dioxin-like compounds are reported in grams, while all other chemicals are reported in pounds. For descriptions of each data element and other details about the contents and use of these files, see the TRI Basic Plus Data File Documentation. The TRI Reporting Forms and Instructions document is also a helpful reference.
The eight file types in the TRI Basic Plus data files include the following:
- 1: Facility, chemical, releases and other waste management summary information
- 2a: On- and off-site disposal, energy recovery, recycling and treatment; non-production-related waste quantities; production/activity ratio; source reduction activities
- 2b: Detailed on-site waste treatment methods and efficiency
- 3a: Transfers off site for disposal and further waste management
- 3b: Transfers to Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWs)
- 4: Facility information
- 5: Optional information on source reduction, recycling and pollution control
- 6: Additional miscellaneous and optional information
Select a Reporting Year then click
This webpage contains the most recent versions of all TRI data files; facilities may revise previous years' TRI submissions if necessary, and any such changes will be reflected in these files. For this reason, data contained in these files may differ from data used to construct the TRI National Analysis.