Partnership Green Power Use Requirements
All EPA Partner Organizations are required to use a minimum amount of green power annually as a percentage of their total annual electricity use. Partners must have a minimum total annual electricity use of 100,000 kWh to be eligible for Partnership. The following table details the minimum green power use benchmarks (by percentage) based on an organization’s annual electricity use (in kWh).
|Partner Organization Green Power Use Requirement|
|If Your Organization’s Total Annual Electricity Use in kWh is...||Your Minimum Green Power Use Requirement as a Percentage of Total Annual Electricity Use is...|
|≥ 100,000,001 kWh||7% of use|
|10,000,001–100,000,000 kWh||10% of use|
|1,000,001–10,000,000 kWh||25% of use|
|100,000–1,000,000 kWh||50% of use|
Organizations should determine the scope of Partnership that they wish to have with EPA. Organizations may Partner with EPA for a single facility, a logical grouping of facilities, or across the entirety of the organization’s U.S. operations. The organization should ensure that their Partnership scope aligns with their total annual electricity use and green power usage.
Additional Green Power Use Requirements
Partners can meet their green power commitment with any combination of green power supply options. Partners must use green power that is:
- Generated from eligible renewable resources (pdf), which include solar, wind, geothermal, biogas, eligible biomass, and eligible low-impact hydroelectric sources.
- Procured voluntarily (pdf), at amounts incremental (i.e., additional) to the renewable electricity included in standard electricity service or mandated by state policy.
- Sourced from "new" renewable facilities (pdf) (i.e., installed within the last 15 years).
- Sourced from eligible U.S.-based generation facilities (pdf). All green power use must be from eligible U.S.-based generators and applied to U.S.-based operations. International (e.g., Canadian, European, Asian, etc.) operations are not eligible for Partnership.
For additional information, please refer to the Partnership Requirements (pdf).
Learn more about:
- How to apply as an organization.
- Eligibility and Partnership requirements to become an EPA Green Power Partner.
- The benefits of Partnership with EPA.
Not an organization, but looking to partner as a Community? Please see “Partner as a Community.”