An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program

What You Can Do

It's your right to know what toxic chemicals are being used in your community. The Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) is a resource for learning about chemical releases and pollution prevention activities reported by industrial and federal facilities.

On this page:

What can I do with the TRI data I find?

  • You can use TRI data (along with other environmental information) to discuss your community’s environmental health concerns with:
    • Neighborhood associations/community groups
    • Environmental organizationsStudents conducting water sampling at a stream.
    • Local colleges and researchers
    • Environmental, natural resources, health and/or planning government agencies
    • Local and state elected officials
    • Industry trade associations
    • Industrial facilities
  • Use TRI pollution prevention (P2) data to encourage local facilities to implement new P2 activities or expand existing activities.
  • Check out the "TRI in Action" report for examples of how individuals and groups are using TRI data to make a difference.

What can I do if I think there's a problem at a facility?

What can I do if there's a facility-related emergency?

Your Local Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC) has information on facilities and emergency response plans for your area. Staff at your local fire department will know whom to contact. In the case of an oil spill or other environmental emergency, please contact the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802. 

How can I find more information?

TRI is only one piece of the puzzle. While TRI provides important information about toxic chemical releases in your community, seeing the whole picture requires additional data. Here are some supplemental resources:

Where can I get help if I want to talk to someone?

If you have TRI-related questions, you may want to: