Exploring ToxCast Data
ToxCast data, once generated by labs and processed by EPA through the pipeline, can be downloaded from our website and is also available in the CompTox Chemicals Dashboard. The most recent ToxCast data is available in the invitroDBv4.1 database. The database was released in September 2023. Data files from previously published ToxCast data releases are still available for download. This page provides links to all relevant ToxCast chemical and assay data.
- Most Recent InVitro Database Release (invitroDBv4.1) and Data Processing Package: EPA's analysis of chemicals screened through high-throughput screening assays. The database release includes a MySQL database, release notes, summary files, assay information and concentration response plots. In conjunction, the ToxCast Pipeline for storing, transforming, normalizing, curve-fitting, and activity hit-calling is available as an R package, library (tcpl). Tcpl and invitrodb provide a standard for consistent and reproducible curve-fitting and data management for diverse, targeted in vitro assay data with readily available documentation, thus enabling sharing and use of these data in myriad toxicology applications.
- Assay Description Documentation: Descriptions and guidelines for ToxCast assays in format outlined by the OECD Guidance Document 211 for describing non-guideline in vitro test methods. The intent of GD 211 is to harmonize non-guideline, in vitro method descriptions to allow assessment of the relevance of the test method for biological responses of interest and the quality of the data produced. This is a work in progress and will be updated as more assay information is available.
- Download Assay Descriptions
- Standard Laboratory Protocol for Tox21 Assays: Data describing the standard laboratory protocol for Tox21 assays including descriptions of Tox21 assays, protocol for all assays (reference, quality control, procedures and performance) and assay data.
- High-throughput Screening Data for Estrogen Receptor Model: Estrogen receptor model data from the manuscript titled Integrated Model of Chemical Perturbations of Biological Pathways Using 18 In Vitro High-throughput Screening Assays for the Estrogen Receptor (Judson et al) published in Toxicological Science.
- High-throughput Screening Data for Androgen Receptor Model: Androgen receptor activity model data.
- Archive of ToxCast & Tox21 Chemicals Distributed Structure-Searchable Toxicity Database (DSSTox Files): Chemical lists and information for 9,403 unique substances (DTXSIDs) and DSSTox standard chemical fields (chemical name; CASRN; structure; etc.). These chemicals have been evaluated through the ToxCast and Tox21 high-throughput screening efforts.
- Previous ToxCast Data Releases: Data files from previously published ToxCast data releases. We DO NOT recommend using this data for new analyses, but are providing these files in case users need them for ongoing analyses.
Using ToxCast Data
- Data downloads allow users to set up their own personal instance of the invitrodb MySQL database and interact with the data directly via the tcpl R package. This is a preferred option for more customized or programmatic ToxCast data needs, or if users want to do their own data processing. See tcpl vignettes for more information.
- Bioactivity APIs can provide ToxCast data for various use cases, including research and applications with user interfaces.
- The CompTox Chemicals Dashboard ToxCast bioactivity module presents a view of potency and relative efficacy metrics across ToxCast endpoints for chemicals of interest.
The following citation format can be used when citing ToxCast data:
General Citation Suggestion
U.S. EPA. Data download year. Data set name from database version. Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/chemical-research/toxicity-forecaster-toxcasttm-data on date retrieved. Data release date.
U.S. EPA. 2015. ToxCast & Tox21 Summary Files from invitrodb_v3. Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/chemical-research/toxicity-forecaster-toxcasttm-data on October 28, 2018. Data released October 2018.