SmartWay Affiliate Editorial Calendar
March 2018 Recommended Actions
Theme – Logistics and Goods Movement
Freight is vital to the economy of our U.S. communities. In 2015, the U.S. logistics industry moved more than 49.5 million tons of goods worth nearly $52.7 billion every day, which is more than 56 tons of freight per person per year.
Numerous communities are located along busy Interstate Highways and may be home to national freight railroad crossroads and/or national and international air cargo hubs. Communities want to expand transportation options and promote economic prosperity while minimizing environmental impacts. State and local air quality organizations already know the impact of goods movement and congested highways in their regions and are looking for ways to work with local freight companies to reduce these impacts.
Here are some best practices you can discuss with your freight community:
- Idling can be reduced through use of onboard devices, shore power, appointment times, and gate/layout management.
- Encourage the use of Electric and/or Hybrid Delivery Vehicles. Urban deliveries can be improved through use of dedicated low-emission vehicles and off-hours operations.
- Promote innovative technology and policy strategies to improve the efficiency of the goods movement system.
- Work with freight companies to implement right-of-ways for efficient storage, movement and delivery of goods between close-in warehousing and industrial districts in the downtown core.
- Establish a process of collaboration with your state DOTs and others.
- Discuss incorporating public health, environment and resiliency goals identified in state freight plans when implementing specific freight and intermodal projects.
- Encourage companies to participate in EPA’s SmartWay program.
More resources for logistics and goods movement information:
- Information on the impacts of freight https://www.epa.gov/smartway/why-freight-matters-supply-chain-sustainability
- Strategy documents that you can share with local freight carriers https://www.epa.gov/smartway/smartway-truck-carrier-partner-resources
- Strategy documents that you can share with local freight shippers https://www.epa.gov/smartway/smartway-shipper-partner-tools-and-resources