SmartWay Truck Carrier Partner Resources
This page has everything you need to get the most out of being a registered SmartWay Truck Carrier.
Bookmark this page for your convenience.
What would you like to do?
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
SmartWay Truck Carriers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis.
Make sure to submit your SmartWay Truck Tool by the due date to make sure your shippers and logistics companies can find you and be a SmartWay Truck Carrier in good standing.
Truck Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also contains additional guidance and worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- 2020 SmartWay Truck Carrier Tool (2019 Data Year) (XLSM)(6 MB, January 2020) Save this official tool file to your computer before opening. Use this file for submitting your data--Do not submit the example tool. Free Viewers
- Example 2020 Truck Tool (Filled In) for Download (XLSM)(6 MB, January 2020) Save this example tool file to your computer before opening. This file is not for submitting your company's information--Use the "Truck Carrier Tool" above for your official data submission. Free Viewers
- Some email systems will not allow users to send very large files. If your email system cannot handle sending both files, send only the .xml file to your Partner Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EPA cannot provide technical support for preparing files for importing. Please work with your internal IT department to make sure data files are set up properly for import.
Truck Tool User Guides
Use these guides to understand the tool data entry and submission process. Note that the data worksheets are no longer available in the Quick Start Guide, but are now provided as appendices to the User Guide.
- What's New - 2020 SmartWay Truck Carrier Tool Version (U.S. Version 2.0.19) (PDF)(1 p, 148 K, January 2020, EPA-420-F-20-002)
Version 2.0.19 of the Truck Carrier Tool contains a number of updates and revisions to the prior version, 2.0.18. These updates have been implemented to enhance the usefulness, clarity, and accuracy of the Tool. This document summarizes those changes.
- 2020 SmartWay Truck Carrier Partner Tool: Quick Start Guide (2019 Data Year—United States Version) (PDF)(26 pp, 1 MB, January 2020, EPA-420-B-20-001)
This document gives you a brief overview of the tool and what you will need to complete it.
- 2020 SmartWay Truck Carrier Partner Tool: User Guide (2019 Data Year—United States Version) (PDF)(57 pp, 2 MB, January 2020, EPA-420-B-20-003)
This document gives you a more detailed overview of the tool and what you will need to complete it. Be sure to review the handy worksheets for collecting the necessary information for your company’s tool submission in the appendices before downloading and using the tool.
- 2020 SmartWay Truck Carrier Partner Tool: Technical Documentation (2019 Data Year - United States Version) (PDF)107 pp, 4 MB, January 2020, EPA-420-B-20-002)
This document discusses tool data sources, calculations, and issues considered in determining methods employed in the tool.
Submitting Your Truck Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Truck Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both a .xlsm file and a .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to email@example.com for evaluation.
All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. These Microsoft Excel files contain the latest SmartWay Partners fleet ranking categories and emission rates.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Partner Ranking Data
- The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only).
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet’s performance.
SmartDriver Online Driver Training
SmartDriver for Highway Trucking (SDHT) is a free driver training program to help truckers and trucking companies reduce fuel use, cut costs, increase profits, and improve competitiveness. In fact, SDHT is proven to help improve fuel efficiency by up to 35 percent—a significant saving, given today’s fuel prices.
The course focuses on energy-management factors within a driver’s control, such as idling, start/stop techniques, progressive shifting, trip planning, and maintenance. Participants gain greater knowledge of fuel-saving driving techniques that can be put into practice immediately.
Those who complete the training with a mark of at least 80 percent receive a certificate of achievement.
- Enroll in free online SmartDriver training to become a more efficient driver. Exit
Optimizing fuel economy, driver performance, and operational efficiency is key to improving the performance of your fleets as a SmartWay Truck Carrier. Read these technical bulletins to discover the best opportunities for your company.
Strategies for Efficiency
- Overview of Carrier Strategies (PDF) (3 pp, 182 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-049)
- Fact sheets about each strategy:
- Automatic Tire Inflation Systems (PDF)(2 pp, 289 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-018)
- Driver Training (PDF) (2 pp, 197 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-019)
- Hybrid Powertrain Technology (PDF) (2 pp, 172 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-020)
- Idle Reduction (PDF) (2 pp, 206 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-021)
- Improved Aerodynamics (PDF) (2 pp, 179 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-022)
- Improved Freight Logistics (PDF) (2 pp, 183 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-023)
- Intermodal Shipping (PDF) (2 pp, 193 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-024)
- Longer Combination Vehicles (PDF) (2 pp, 179 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-025)
- Low Rolling Resistance Tires (PDF) (2 pp, 140 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-026)
- Low Viscosity Lubricants (PDF) (2 pp, 175 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-027)
- Maintaining Proper Tire Inflation Pressure (PDF) (2 pp, 181 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-028)
- Reducing Highway Speed (PDF) (2 pp, 153 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-029)
- Weight Reduction (PDF) (2 pp, 175 K, August 2019, EPA-420-F-19-030)
Small Carrier Information
- How SmartWay Benefits Small Fleets (PDF) (2 pp, 558K, EPA420-F-13-012, February 2013)
- SmartWay and Small Business: Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 134K, EPA420-F-13-013, February 2013)
Professional Association Links
Industry trade associations are a great resource for the most up-to-date information about these strategies.
- American Trucking Associations (ATA) Exit is a trade association for the trucking industry, providing education on highway safety, security, environmental sustainability, and other issues.
- The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) Exit is a trade association for individuals that own and operate their own trucking businesses.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practice Guidance: Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Featured Partner Profiles: EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.