SmartWay Rail Carrier Tools and Resources
This page has everything you need to get the most out of being a registered SmartWay Rail Carrier.
Bookmark this page for your convenience.
On this Page
SmartWay Rail Carriers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Rail Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to make sure your data is in the EPA partner database when your shippers and logistics companies are looking for you.
If you are responsible for annual updates and fleet improvement strategies, bookmark this page for your convenience. All SmartWay Rail Carrier information will be updated on this page.
You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Rail Carrier Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to be a SmartWay RailCarrier in good standing and to be eligible for partner recognition.
Rail Carrier Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also contains additional guidance with worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- 2022 Rail Tool (2021 Data Year) (xlsm) Save this official tool file to your computer before opening. Use this file for submitting your data--Do not submit the example tool.
- Example 2022 Rail Tool (2021 Data Year) (xlsm) Save this example tool file to your computer before opening. This file is not for submitting your company's information--Use the "Rail Carrier Tool" above for your official data submission.
Rail Tool User Guides
Use these guides to understand the tool data entry and submission process. Note that the data worksheets are available in the appendices of the Quick Start Guide and are no longer listed as stand-alone documents.
2022 SmartWay Rail Carrier Partner Tool: What’s New in this Version? (pdf)
- Version 2.0.21 of the Rail Carrier Tool contains some updates and revisions to the prior version, 2.0.20.
- This document summaries updates that have been implemented to enhance the usefulness, clarity, and accuracy of the Tool.
2022 SmartWay Rail Carrier Partner Tool: Quick Start Guide - U.S. Version 2.0.21 (Data Year 2021) (pdf)
- New to the SmartWay Rail Tool? Review this guide before downloading and using the tool to familiarize yourself with data requirements and tool functions.
- This document provides you with general guidance on SmartWay, joining as a Rail Carrier Partner, the Partnership Agreement, and meeting software/hardware requirements for using the tool.
- 2022 SmartWay Rail Carrier Partner Tool: User Guide - U.S. Version 2.0.21 (Data Year 2021) (pdf) Please review this before downloading and using the tool. This document provides you with the general organization of the tool, and the data needs for each section. It includes handy worksheets for entering your company’s information to have at your fingertips when you are ready to use the tool.
- 2022 SmartWay Rail Carrier Partner Tool: Technical Documentation - U.S. Version 2.0.21 (Data Year 2021) (pdf) This document discusses tool data sources, calculations, and issues considered in determining methods employed in the tool.
Submitting Your Rail Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Rail Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both a .xlsm file and a .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to email@example.com for evaluation.
All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. These Microsoft Excel files contain the latest SmartWay Partners fleet ranking categories and emission rates.
The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only)
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay Program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet’s performance.
Optimizing fuel economy and operational efficiency is key to improving your performance as a SmartWay Rail Carrier. Rail carriers have a variety of technology and operational strategies available to improve fuel efficiency and environmental performance. The best source for the most up-to-date information about these strategies is your rail professional associations.
Professional Association Links
- The Association of American Railroads (AAR) is a trade association for the rail industry.
Share your Achievements
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practices for Sharing your Participation in SmartWay
Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Featured Partner Profiles
EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.