This page contains the latest news about SmartWay. Visit often for the latest announcements, media coverage, and press releases.
Many of the following links exit the site Exit
Latest SmartWay News
Don’t Overlook Freight-Related Emissions in your Climate Action Plans!
A U.S. EPA SmartWay affiliate, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG), recognizes the importance of efficient freight movement. They encourage other municipalities and regions to implement SmartWay strategies as a way to meet their climate action plan goals and reach attainment of federal ozone standards more effectively.
Learn more about NCTCOG’s sustainability tips here: https://www.americancityandcounty.com/2019/04/17/dont-overlook-freight-related-emissions-in-your-climate-action-plans/
U.S. Postal Service Pilots 15 Battery-Electric Delivery Vans!
A U.S. EPA SmartWay partner, the U.S. Postal Service is piloting 15 battery-electric delivery vans that will be deployed in California's Central Valley as part of the region's goals to reduce transportation emissions and improve air quality! The pilot project is part of a collaboration with CALSTART and the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District and was funded by the California Air Resources Board. It’s part of the Postal Service’s goal to operate a future class of delivery vehicles which will incorporate new technology to accommodate a diverse mail mix, enhance safety, improve service, reduce emissions, and produce operational savings.
- Learn more about USPS' sustainability plans and its long history with electric trucks here: https://about.usps.com/what-we-are-doing/green/welcome.htm
NACFE Releases Guidance Reports on Truck Electrification
The North American Council for Freight Efficiency (NACFE), a SmartWay affiliate, works to drive the development and adoption of efficient, environmentally beneficial, and cost-effective technologies and services in the North American freight industry. NACFE recently published three reports on the emergence, development and deployment of commercial battery electric vehicles (CBEVs):
- Medium-Duty Electric Trucks – Cost of Ownership
- Amping Up - Charging Infrastructure for Electric Trucks
- Electric Trucks - Where They Make Sense
NACFE will publish another report evaluating the potential for electric Class 7/8 day cabs as replacements for diesels later in 2019.
More information is available at nacfe.org.
2018 EPA Recognizes SmartWay Excellence Awardees
SmartWay Shipper and Logistics Company Partners receiving SmartWay Excellence Awards were recognized on Monday, October 1, 2018 during the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Annual Global Conference in Nashville, Tennessee.
Learn more about awardees:
- Press Release: October 29, 2018-- U.S. EPA’s SmartWay Honors Freight Carriers for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency
- Summary: 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Leadership Highlights for Carriers (PDF)(9 pp, 948 K, EPA-420-F-18-016
- Press Release: October 2, 2018--EPA SmartWay Honors Freight Shippers and Logistics Firms for Exceptional Supply Chain Leadership
- Summary: 2018 SmartWay Excellence Awardee Shipper and Logistics Company Highlights (PDF)(4 pp, 377 K, October 2018, EPA 420-F-18-017) (About PDF)
- Infographic: Multiple Year Awardee List and Infographic (PDF)(2 pp, 657 K, EPA-420-F-18-018)
- Video: EPA Congratulates 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Recipients EXIT
How to Factor Sustainability into Carrier Procurement
Check out this new EPA SmartWay fact sheet for five easy steps your company can take to integrate sustainability into its freight procurement and management programs. A critical link in the supply chain, freight transport also can be a significant source of air pollution. Check out these five simple steps to reduce freight’s environmental impact, and make it a part of your sustainability plan!
- View the Green Freight Procurement Factsheet: How to Factor Sustainability into Carrier Procurement >(2 pp, 146 K, August 2018, EPA-420-F18-005)
SmartWay Featured Partner: Mesilla Valley Transportation
Mesilla Valley Transportation (MVT), one of the largest privately-owned truck load carriers in the U.S., joined SmartWay ten years ago in support of its larger goals to haul more freight, use less fuel, and monitor its environmental performance. Learn more about the strategies and technologies that MVT and other partners use on the Featured SmartWay Partner page!
- View the SmartWay Partner Profile: Mesilla Valley Transportation (PDF)(3 pp, 222 K, August 2018, EPA-420-F-18-015)
Shippers are the focus of SmartWay June Webinars!
EPA SmartWay is pleased to announce the first SmartWay Shipper Webinar Series: Delivering Sustainable Freight Performance. On Thursday, June 21st and Thursday, June 28th, EPA is hosting two webinars to help you as a shipper improve performance and build strong relationships with your carriers. The first webinar will introduce you to tools that will help you understand the efficiency of your freight operations. You will also learn about the SmartWay Carrier performance ranking reports and how this information can be used to make effective business decisions helping you reduce your environmental impact. The second webinar will discuss what carriers have cited as critical attributes of a “shipper of choice” and how this could improve carrier relations, helping shippers attract and keep quality service providers.
- Go to the Webinar Page and register https://www.epa.gov/smartway/smartway-webinars-events
SmartWay Affiliates Recognize Earth Day
EPA and its SmartWay Affiliates are celebrating Earth Day by raising awareness about the steps our stakeholders can take to reduce transportation emissions. North Central Texas Council of Governments is working with local truck driving schools to highlight the benefits of idle reduction and driving practices that can help reduce fuel use, emissions and costs. WI Clean Cities has several events planned including a Sustainability Summit designed to encourage more sustainable practices, create healthier neighborhoods, and increase economic sustainability locally and regionally.
Just in – New Marketing Resource - Carbon Footprint Posters are available at no cost.
Here are directions for ordering the poster from the National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP):
- Go to the NSCEP on-line site: https://www.epa.gov/nscep
- In the Search Publications box, type in SmartWay Carbon Footprint Poster
- Click on the Search button
- A listing of the poster will appear
- Click on the "mail" icon to order free mailed copies of the poster
3/2/2018 SmartWay Excellence Awardee Whirlpool Corporation Interviewed by Inbound Logistics
Kara Hegg, Supply Chain Sustainability Manager for Whirlpool Corporation (a 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardee), spoke with Inbound Logistics about how SmartWay helps Whirlpool collect and use key freight data points in ways that help improve supply chain efficiency, contribute to sustainability goals, and improve their bottom line.
- Listen to the podcast here: http://www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/podcast/
2/21/2018: EPA releases 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Criteria
The 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award criteria factsheet is now available for review. The factsheet details the Award criteria, as well as outlines the selection process and general timeline for all Partner categories.
- View the criteria factsheet (PDF) (2 pp, 596K , February 2018, EPA-420-F-18-002)(About PDF)
- View recording of 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Criteria Webinar
2/5/2018 SmartWay releases 2018 Truck, Rail and Barge Tools
For companies starting the year with a resolution to improve efficiency and fleet performance, SmartWay’s 2018 truck, rail and barge carrier tools are now available:
Older News Items
10/23/2017: EPA Recognizes 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardees
On October 23, 2017, EPA recognized the achievements of freight shippers, logistics companies, and carriers as recipients of the 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awards.
- Learn about the 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardees
- Press Release: EPA’s SmartWay Honors Top Performers in the Freight Industry for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency (October 23, 2017)
- 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award Leadership Highlights (PDF) (11 pp, 1 MB, October 2017, EPA-420-F-17-018, About PDF)
9/24/2017: SmartWay congratulates carriers that achieve 10+ MPG in NACFE Run on Less Roadshow
Run on Less, a first of its kind cross-country roadshow came to a close in Atlanta at the North American Commercial Vehicle Show on Sept. 26. Seven trucks, including five owned by SmartWay partners, participated in the run (see list below).
According to the North American Freight Efficiency Council, a SmartWay affiliate that organized the event, the drivers traveled a combined total of 50,017 miles during the 17-day event, and achieved a cumulative average of 10.1 MPG, saving a total of 2,877 gallons of fuel, $7,193 in fuel costs and reducing carbon emissions by 29 tons. Drivers were driving in real-world conditions and hauling real world freight; details on the event, including speed elevation gain, wind conditions and more are available at runonless.com.
The seven participating fleets and drivers are listed below.
|Albert Transport Inc.||Henry Albert|
|*Mesilla Valley Transportation||Robert Sandoval|
|*Nussbaum Transportation||Clark Reed|
|*PepsiCo's Frito-Lay Division||Tommy Revell|
|Ploger Transportation||Joel Morrow|
|*US Xpress||Mark Risien|
* = Company/Fleet is a SmartWay Partner
More detailed information on the drivers, their trucks, routes and more can be found at runonless.com.
8/25/2017--EPA Releases first annual SmartWay High Performer Lists
Among the hundreds of companies partnering with EPA through SmartWay, there are those that are a step ahead in meeting the challenges of sustainable goods movement. These leaders represent all types of SmartWay partners, including: shippers, truck carriers and logistics service providers.
Based on SmartWay’s annual emissions reports for partners, these High Performers have achieved significant shipping and freight efficiencies that merit special attention.
Learn more about SmartWay High Performers and the criteria that sets them apart!
- December, 2018
- EPS News, 3 Steps to Reduce Emissions in a Complex Electronics Supply Chain
- April 17, 2018
- Blue & Green Tomorrow, New Eco-Friendly Cars Provide Tons of Green Driving Options
- April 16, 2018
- TruckNews.com, Natural Resources Canada launches new Green Freight Assessment Program
- March 6, 2018
- FREIGHTWAVES, SmartWay plans fall update to tractor standards, could include day cabs for first time (https://www.freightwaves.com/news/technology/smartway-updating-program)
- January 18, 2018
- HDT Truckinginfo, HDT Truckinginfo, How 3 SmartWay Excellence Honorees Cut Their Carbon Footprint
- October 24, 2017
- Transport Topics, SmartWay Honors 10 ATA Members for Environmental Efforts
- April 19, 2017
- Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG), Building a Common Framework for Reducing Emissions in the Automotive Supply Chain
- January 3, 2017
- DC Velocity, Interview with The Home Depot's Michelle Livingstone
- November 14, 2016
- Material Management & Distribution, Carriers recognized for environmental achievements
- August 8, 2016
- Reading Eagle, Trucking's Getting a Lot Greener
- Jul 13, 2016
- Lexology, EPA Updates and Republishes SmartWay Freight Transportation Sustainability Program
EPA Press Releases about the SmartWay Program
- October 29, 2018
- U.S. EPA’s SmartWay Honors Freight Carriers for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency
- October 2, 2018
- EPA SmartWay Honors Freight Shippers and Logistics Firms for Exceptional Supply Chain Leadership
- October 23, 2017
- EPA’s SmartWay Honors Top Performers in the Freight Industry for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency
- October 3, 2016
- EPA SmartWay honors Freight Carriers for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency
- September 27, 2016
- EPA’s SmartWay Honors Green Leaders in the Freight Industry
News about SmartWay Partners
- December, 2018
- American Journal of Transportation, Schneider honored with ninth EPA SmartWay Excellence Award for Environmental Efforts
- Environmental Leader, UPS Among EPA's 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Winners
- Furniture Today, JB Hunt Earns 2018 Smartway Excellence Award From EPA
- Reading Eagle, Penske Logistics earn Environmental Award
- Modern Bulk Transporter, Eagle Transport Corp recognized with US EPA 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award
- TruckingIndustry.news, SmartWay Excellence Award given to ABF Freight
- ThomasNet News, Kimberly-Clark's Sustainability Programs Recognized for Leadership in Energy and Climate
- Virtual-Strategy Magazine, NFI Recognized as Four-Time EPA 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Winner
- October, 2018
- American Journal of Transportation, Transplace honored with EPA 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award
- PR Newswire (press release), Whirlpool Corporation Receives Fourth Consecutive EPA SmartWay Excellence Award
- PR Newswire (press release), Bacardi USA Receives US EPA 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award
- Transport Topics Online, EPA Honors 21 ATA Members With SmartWay Excellence Awards
- PR Newswire (press release), ATA Congratulates 2018 EPA SmartWay Excellence Winners
- GlobeNewswire (press release), Werner Enterprises Earns 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award
- Virtual-Strategy Magazine, NFI Recognized as Four-Time EPA 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award
- TruckingNewsNow.com, Schneider Trucking Honored With EPA “SmartWay” Award
- HomeWorld Business, Meijer Wins Double SmartWay Award
- Progressive Grocer, Meijer Awarded for Sustainability Moves as Both Supplier and Carrier
- grbj.com, West Michigan companies win Federal Supply Chain Excellence Awards
- American Journal of Transportation, Alliance Shippers recertifies as a SmartWay Transport Partner
- Digital Journal, FreightCenter Enters Third Year as SmartWay Transport Partner
- September, 2018
- GreenBiz, 5 ways consumer products companies can help carriers improve efficiency
- Fleet Equipment Magazine, FlowBelow announces Peterbilt factory install of AeroKits
- July, 2018
- Inbound Logistics, J&J Uses Sustainability to Strengthen Carrier Relationships
- May, 2018
- Construction Equipment Guide, Pitt Ohio to Test Two Mack Anthem Natural Gas Vehicles
- PR Newswire, Matheson Prioritizes Natural Gas Vehicles, CNG Tractor at ACT Expo
- Markets Insider, Freightera Marketplace Books 10,000th Shipment, Goes Live with CN Rail
- Interesting Engineering, Anheuser-Busch Places Huge Order for Nikola's Zero-Emission Trucks
- April, 2018
- GlobeNewsWire-West, OnTrac Renews SmartWay Transport Partnership for Seventh Year
- December, 2017
- American Journal of Transportation, Schneider reserves Tesla semi trucks
- PR Newswire (press release), Diageo North America Receives a 2017 Supply & Demand Chain Executive Green Supply Chain Award
- Business Wire (press release), Ryder Receives US EPA 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- PR Newswire (press release), Penske Logistics Given Sustainability Award by US EPA SmartWay
- November, 2017
- TruckingIndustry.News, Penske Logistics Receives EPA SmartWay 2017 Excellence Award
- PR Newswire (press release), Whirlpool Corporation Receives Third Consecutive EPA SmartWay Award, Named High Performer
- PR Newswire (press release), Meijer Earns US Environmental Protection Agency's 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- Business Wire (press release), Knight-Swift Transportation Holdings, Inc. Receives US Environmental Protection Agency 2017
- American Journal of Transporation, Schneider Honored with Eighth EPA SmartWay Excellence Award for Environmental Efforts
- American Journal of Transporation, EPA recognizes JB Hunt Transport Services, INC. with 2017 Environmental Excellence award
- GlobeNewswire (press release), Heartland Express Receives US EPA 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- Business Insider (press release), Werner Enterprises Earns 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- EPR Retail News (press release), EPA recognizes The Home Depot with a 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award for the fifth consecutive year
- Hngnews.com, Sheehy honored with US EPA award
- Sioux City Journal, Hirschbach wins EPA award
- FreightWave, SmartWay honors carriers, shippers with Excellence Awards
- Chicago Daily Herald, Hub Group awarded EPA SmartWay excellence award
- Herald Palladium, Whirlpool earns 3rd straight EPA award