This page contains the latest news about SmartWay. Visit often for the latest announcements, media coverage, and press releases.
Many of the following links exit the site Exit
Latest SmartWay News
SmartWay Shipper and Logistics Company Partners receiving SmartWay Excellence Awards were recognized on Monday, October 1, 2018 during the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Annual Global Conference in Nashville, Tennessee.
Learn more about awardees:
- Web Announcement and Awardee List
- Press Release, October 2, 2018: EPA SmartWay Honors Freight Shippers and Logistics Firms for Exceptional Supply Chain Leadership
- 2018 SmartWay Excellence Awardee Shipper and Logistics Company Highlights (PDF)(4 pp, 377 K, October 2018, EPA 420-F-18-017) (About PDF)
- Multiple Year Awardee List and Infographic (PDF)(2 pp, 657 K, EPA-420-F-18-020)
How to Factor Sustainability into Carrier Procurement
Check out this new EPA SmartWay fact sheet for five easy steps your company can take to integrate sustainability into its freight procurement and management programs. A critical link in the supply chain, freight transport also can be a significant source of air pollution. Check out these five simple steps to reduce freight’s environmental impact, and make it a part of your sustainability plan!
- View the Green Freight Procurement Factsheet: How to Factor Sustainability into Carrier Procurement >(2 pp, 146 K, August 2018, EPA-420-F18-005)
SmartWay Featured Partner: Mesilla Valley Transportation
Mesilla Valley Transportation (MVT), one of the largest privately-owned truck load carriers in the U.S., joined SmartWay ten years ago in support of its larger goals to haul more freight, use less fuel, and monitor its environmental performance. Learn more about the strategies and technologies that MVT and other partners use on the Featured SmartWay Partner page!
- View the SmartWay Partner Profile: Mesilla Valley Transportation (PDF)(3 pp, 222 K, August 2018, EPA-420-F-18-015)
Shippers are the focus of SmartWay June Webinars!
EPA SmartWay is pleased to announce the first SmartWay Shipper Webinar Series: Delivering Sustainable Freight Performance. On Thursday, June 21st and Thursday, June 28th, EPA is hosting two webinars to help you as a shipper improve performance and build strong relationships with your carriers. The first webinar will introduce you to tools that will help you understand the efficiency of your freight operations. You will also learn about the SmartWay Carrier performance ranking reports and how this information can be used to make effective business decisions helping you reduce your environmental impact. The second webinar will discuss what carriers have cited as critical attributes of a “shipper of choice” and how this could improve carrier relations, helping shippers attract and keep quality service providers.
- Go to the Webinar Page and register https://www.epa.gov/smartway/smartway-webinars-events
SmartWay Affiliates Recognize Earth Day
EPA and its SmartWay Affiliates are celebrating Earth Day by raising awareness about the steps our stakeholders can take to reduce transportation emissions. North Central Texas Council of Governments is working with local truck driving schools to highlight the benefits of idle reduction and driving practices that can help reduce fuel use, emissions and costs. WI Clean Cities has a number of events planned including a Sustainability Summit designed to encourage more sustainable practices, create healthier neighborhoods, and increase economic sustainability locally and regionally.
Just in – New Marketing Resource - Carbon Footprint Posters are available at no cost.
Here are directions for ordering the poster from the National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP):
- Go to the NSCEP on-line site: https://www.epa.gov/nscep
- In the Search Publications box, type in SmartWay Carbon Footprint Poster
- Click on the Search button
- A listing of the poster will appear
- Click on the "mail" icon to order free mailed copies of the poster
3/2/2018 SmartWay Excellence Awardee Whirlpool Corporation Interviewed by Inbound Logistics
Kara Hegg, Supply Chain Sustainability Manager for Whirlpool Corporation (a 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardee), spoke with Inbound Logistics about how Smartway helps Whirlpool collect and use key freight data points in ways that help improve supply chain efficiency, contribute to sustainability goals, and improve their bottom line.
- Listen to the podcast here: http://www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/podcast/
2/21/2018: EPA releases 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Criteria
The 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award criteria factsheet is now available for review. The factsheet details the Award criteria, as well as outlines the selection process and general timeline for all Partner categories.
- View the criteria factsheet (PDF) (2 pp, 596K , February 2018, EPA-420-F-18-002)
- View recording of 2018 SmartWay Excellence Award Criteria Webinar
2/5/2018 SmartWay releases 2018 Truck, Rail and Barge Tools
For companies starting the year with a resolution to improve efficiency and fleet performance, SmartWay’s 2018 truck , rail and barge carrier tools are now available:
Older News Items
10/23/2017: EPA Recognizes 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardees
On October 23, 2017, EPA recognized the achievements of freight shippers, logistics companies, and carriers as recipients of the 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awards.
- Learn about the 2017 SmartWay Excellence Awardees
- Press Release: EPA’s SmartWay Honors Top Performers in the Freight Industry for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency (October 23, 2017)
- 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award Leadership Highlights (PDF) (11 pp, 1 MB, October 2017, EPA-420-F-17-018, About PDF)
9/24/2017: SmartWay congratulates carriers that achieve 10+ MPG in NACFE Run on Less Roadshow
Run on Less, a first of its kind cross-country roadshow came to a close in Atlanta at the North American Commercial Vehicle Show on Sept. 26. Seven trucks, including five SmartWay partners, participated in the run (see list below).
According to the North American Freight Efficiency Council, a SmartWay affiliate that organized the event, the drivers traveled a combined total of 50,017 miles during the 17-day event, and achieved a cumulative average of 10.1 MPG, saving a total of 2,877 gallons of fuel, $7,193 in fuel costs and reducing carbon emissions by 29 tons. Drivers were driving in real world conditions and hauling real world freight; details on the event, including speed elevation gain, wind conditions and more are available at runonless.com.
The seven participating fleets and drivers are listed below.
|Albert Transport Inc.||Henry Albert|
|*Mesilla Valley Transportation||Robert Sandoval|
|*Nussbaum Transportation||Clark Reed|
|*PepsiCo's Frito-Lay Division||Tommy Revell|
|Ploger Transportation||Joel Morrow|
|*US Xpress||Mark Risien|
* = Company/Fleet is a SmartWay Partner
More detailed information on the drivers, their trucks, routes and more can be found at runonless.com.
8/25/2017--EPA Releases first annual SmartWay High Performer Lists
Among the hundreds of companies partnering with EPA through SmartWay, there are those that are a step ahead in meeting the challenges of sustainable goods movement. These leaders represent all types of SmartWay partners, including: shippers, truck carriers and logistics service providers.
Based on SmartWay’s annual emissions reports for partners, these High Performers have achieved significant shipping and freight efficiencies that merit special attention.
Learn more about SmartWay High Performers and the criteria that sets them apart!
- April 17, 2018
- Blue & Green Tomorrow, New Eco-Friendly Cars Provide Tons of Green Driving Options
- April 16, 2018
- TruckNews.com, Natural Resources Canada launches new Green Freight Assessment Program
- March 6, 2018
- FREIGHTWAVES, SmartWay plans fall update to tractor standards, could include day cabs for first time (https://www.freightwaves.com/news/technology/smartway-updating-program)
- January 18, 2018
- HDT Truckinginfo, HDT Truckinginfo, How 3 SmartWay Excellence Honorees Cut Their Carbon Footprint
- October 24, 2017
- Transport Topics, SmartWay Honors 10 ATA Members for Environmental Efforts
- April 19, 2017
- Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG), Building a Common Framework for Reducing Emissions in the Automotive Supply Chain
- January 3, 2017
- DC Velocity, Interview with The Home Depot's Michelle Livingstone
- November 14, 2016
- Material Management & Distribution, Carriers recognized for environmental achievements
- August 8, 2016
- Reading Eagle, Trucking's Getting a Lot Greener
- Jul 13, 2016
- Lexology, EPA Updates and Republishes SmartWay Freight Transportation Sustainability Program
EPA Press Releases about the SmartWay Program
- October 23, 2017
- EPA’s SmartWay Honors Top Performers in the Freight Industry for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency
- October 3, 2016
- EPA SmartWay honors Freight Carriers for Exceptional Supply Chain Efficiency
- September 27, 2016
- EPA’s SmartWay Honors Green Leaders in the Freight Industry
- April 21, 2016
- EPA Celebrates SmartWay Affiliates that Support Cleaner Freight
- October 19, 2015
- EPA SmartWay Honors Freight Carriers for Superior Supply Chain Efficiency
- October 13, 2015
- EPAs 2015 Technology Showcase in Ann Arbor Spotlights Heavy-Duty Vehicles
- October 13, 2015
- EPAs SmartWay Honors Green Leaders in the Freight Industry
News about SmartWay Partners
- September, 2018
- GreenBiz, 5 ways consumer products companies can help carriers improve efficiency
- Fleet Equipment Magazine, FlowBelow announces Peterbilt factory install of AeroKits
- July, 2018
- Inbound Logistics, J&J Uses Sustainability to Strengthen Carrier Relationships
- May, 2018
- Construction Equipment Guide, Pitt Ohio to Test Two Mack Anthem Natural Gas Vehicles
- PR Newswire, Matheson Prioritizes Natural Gas Vehicles, CNG Tractor at ACT Expo
- Markets Insider, Freightera Marketplace Books 10,000th Shipment, Goes Live with CN Rail
- Interesting Engineering, Anheuser-Busch Places Huge Order for Nikola's Zero-Emission Trucks
- April, 2018
- GlobeNewsWire-West, OnTrac Renews SmartWay Transport Partnership for Seventh Year
- December, 2017
- American Journal of Transportation, Schneider reserves Tesla semi trucks
- PR Newswire (press release), Diageo North America Receives a 2017 Supply & Demand Chain Executive Green Supply Chain Award
- Business Wire (press release), Ryder Receives US EPA 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- PR Newswire (press release), Penske Logistics Given Sustainability Award by US EPA SmartWay
- November, 2017
- TruckingIndustry.News, Penske Logistics Receives EPA SmartWay 2017 Excellence Award
- PR Newswire (press release), Whirlpool Corporation Receives Third Consecutive EPA SmartWay Award, Named High Performer
- PR Newswire (press release), Meijer Earns US Environmental Protection Agency's 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- Business Wire (press release), Knight-Swift Transportation Holdings, Inc. Receives US Environmental Protection Agency 2017
- American Journal of Transporation, Schneider Honored with Eighth EPA SmartWay Excellence Award for Environmental Efforts
- American Journal of Transporation, EPA recognizes JB Hunt Transport Services, INC. with 2017 Environmental Excellence award
- GlobeNewswire (press release), Heartland Express Receives US EPA 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- Business Insider (press release), Werner Enterprises Earns 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award
- EPR Retail News (press release), EPA recognizes The Home Depot with a 2017 SmartWay Excellence Award for the fifth consecutive year
- Hngnews.com, Sheehy honored with US EPA award
- Sioux City Journal, Hirschbach wins EPA award
- FreightWave, SmartWay honors carriers, shippers with Excellence Awards
- Chicago Daily Herald, Hub Group awarded EPA SmartWay excellence award
- Herald Palladium, Whirlpool earns 3rd straight EPA award
- October 10, 2017
- Nasdaq, XPO Logistics Expands Data Reporting to EPA's SmartWay Transport Partnership Program