SmartWay Program Successes
EPA’s SmartWay program proves that saving fuel from goods movement significantly strengthens supply chain performance and generates returns that positively affect the economy.
Here are some key statistics about the successes of the SmartWay program:
SmartWay Saves Money and Contributes to American Prosperity
- Trucking and freight transportation are vital to U.S. prosperity. Logistics and transportation contributed $1.48 trillion to our economy in 2015, representing eight percent of annual G.D.P. 70% of all U.S. freight tonnage moves on trucks; trucking revenues represent over 80% of the nation’s freight bill.
- Over 7 million people are employed in trucking-related jobs, many in small businesses, supporting hardworking families in communities across America.
- Working with SmartWay, U.S. trucking companies have saved $27.8 billion on fuel costs, contributing to lower prices while helping American truckers.
SmartWay Saves Oil and Supports US Energy Independence
- Since 2004, SmartWay has helped its partners save 106.5 million barrels of oil- equivalent to eliminating annual energy use in over 12 million homes.By helping America’s freight industry reduce its dependence on foreign fuel, we can invest more dollars at home and reduce our national trade deficit.
- Tractor, trailer and equipment suppliers to the freight industry also rely upon SmartWay to verify the benefits of fuel-saving vehicles and equipment.
Thousands of Businesses and Affiliates Rely Upon SmartWay
- 3,500 companies representing a broad cross-section of industries -- trucking, rail, barge and air freight, and their customers -- rely upon SmartWay for:
- Information on clean and efficient technologies, operational strategies and other business practices that leverage transportation spend, reduce costs and contribute to healthier air for our families and communities;
- A no-cost comprehensive and well-recognized system to track, document and share information about fuel use and freight emissions across supply chains;
- Data to help companies identify and select more efficient carriers and modes;
- Opportunities to share best practices, access training and information that improve performance, and gain recognition for achievements;
- Metrics to use in sustainability reports, procurements and KSA processes.
- 200 major industry associations, non-governmental organizations, states and localities, and professional trade groups also participate as SmartWay Affiliates.
SmartWay Helps to Protect the Health of Americans
- Since 2004, SmartWay has helped partners avoid emitting 94 million tons of air pollution (NOx, PM, and CO2), which helps protect the environment and keep Americans healthy.
- Emissions reductions benefit communities near ports, borders, and truck stops, protecting the health and well-being of citizens in these areas.
SmartWay Demonstrates American Leadership in Green Freight
- Recognizing our inextricably linked U.S.-Canada commerce, energy and environmental cooperation, SmartWay, in coordination with Natural Resources Canada, offers N. American businesses a single, seamless bi-national program.
- As part of a Global Green Freight Action Plan, which aims to develop green freight programs in other regions, SmartWay serves as a global role model.