SmartWay Shipper Partner Tools and Resources
This page contains the tools, guidance, and best practice information you need to get the most out of the SmartWay program as a registered SmartWay Shipper.
If you are responsible for annual updates and fleet improvement strategies, bookmark this page for your convenience. All SmartWay Shipper information will be updated on this page.
What would you like to do?
SmartWay Shippers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. Shipper performance is based on evaluating how much of the freight you ship is carried by benchmarked SmartWay Carriers versus non-SmartWay Carriers.
You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Shipper Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to be a SmartWay Shipper in good standing and to be eligible for partner recognition.
Shipper Tool and Example Tool
- IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ: Due to significant changes to the 2018 Shipper Tool, it is highly recommended that you read this guide before using the tool.
- What's New - 2018 SmartWay Shipper Tool Version (U.S. Version 2.0.17) (PDF) (2 pp, 199 K, EPA-420-F-18-023, October 2018) Version 2.0.17 of the Shipper Tool contains a number of updates and revisions to the prior version, 2.0.16. These updates have been implemented to enhance the usefulness, clarity and accuracy of the Tool. This document summarizes those changes and includes changes to the Tool structure that are new this year.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- NOTE: Tools must be opened in Windows Excel (Version 2003 or later)
- Save this file to your computer before opening. Use this file for submitting your data--Do not submit the example tool.
- Example 2018 Shipper Tool (Filled In) for Download(6 MB, October 2018) Save this file to your computer before opening. This file is not for submitting your company's information--Use the "Shipper Tool" above for your official data submission.
Shipper Tool Guidance Documents
- 2018 SmartWay Shipper Partner Tool: Quick Start Guide – U.S. Version 2.0.17 (2017 Data Year) (PDF)(21 pp, 857 K, October, 2018, EPA-420-B-18-045) Please review this before downloading and using the tool. This document gives you a brief overview of the tool and what you’ll need to complete it. It includes handy worksheets for entering your company’s information, which you’ll want to complete prior to opening the tool.
- 2018 SmartWay Shipper Partner Tool: User Guide - U.S. Version 2.0.17 (2017 Data Year) (PDF)(47 pp, 1 MB, October, 2018, EPA-420-B-18-047)Please review this before downloading and using the tool. This document provides you with the general organization of the tool, and the data needs for each section. It includes handy worksheets for entering your company’s information to have at your fingertips when you are ready to use the tool.
- 2018 SmartWay Shipper Partner Tool: Technical Documentation – U.S. Version 2.0.17 (2017 Data Year) (PDF)(34 pp, 1 MB, October, 2018, EPA-420-B-18-046) This document discusses tool data sources, calculations, and issues considered in determining methods employed in the tool.
- 2018 SmartWay Shipper Partner Tool: Guide to Importing Carrier Data Using the Outside Data Import Function – U.S. Version 2.0.17 (Data Year 2017) (PDF)(27 pp, 1.4 K, May, 2018, EPA-420-B-18-025)For those selecting the outside data import option to upload carrier activity data, this detailed guide tells you how to create a file that contains your company’s in-house carrier data in SmartWay’s prescribed format, thereby reducing the need to manually enter carrier activity data.
Submit Your Shipper Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Shipper Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both an .xls file and an .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to email@example.com for evaluation.
View Shipper Performance Report
SmartWay Shippers providing activity level data (miles and/or tons) are now able to compare their performance against others in their industry. The new Shipper Performance Report helps the shipper company better understand:
- How their performance has changed over time
- How their company compares to its peers
- How their company can continue to improve performance
View a sample performance report: Example SmartWay Shipper Performance Report (PDF)(4 pp, 354 K, June, 2018)
In 2017, Partner Account Managers (PAMS) have emailed reports to eligible shippers. Please contact the helpline at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
View Carrier Performance Rankings
SmartWay Shippers improve their overall performance by using more and better SmartWay Carriers to move their freight. All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. EPA provides a table with all carriers' relative performance rankings to help SmartWay Shippers and Logistics Company Partners quickly assess the performance of prospective and current carriers in various categories.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Ranking Data
- The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only.)
- Understanding SmartWay Data: A Primer for Shippers (PDF) (3 pp, 390K, June 2012, EPA-420-F-12-018)
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet's performance.
Resources to Introduce Your Carriers to SmartWay
EPA has created several tools to help you share the benefits of SmartWay with your carriers.
- Carrier education templates: This page includes several documents and templates to help you introduce your carriers to the benefits of registering with the SmartWay program.
- Web graphics to link to SmartWay's website: Place one or more of these four Web graphics on your website to draw your audience's attention to key SmartWay resources. You can also develop your own graphics to highlight specific SmartWay Web content.
Learn about Efficiency Strategies for Shippers
Fact Sheets and Technical Bulletins
- Fact Sheet - SmartWay Shipper Strategies (PDF) (2 pp, 57K, February 2004, EPA-420-F-03-040)
- Idle Reduction for Shippers (PDF) (2 pp, 683 K, February 2016, EPA-420-F-16-005)
- Intermodal for Shippers (PDF) (2 pp, 677K, February 2016, EPA-420-F-16-006)
- Load Optimization for Shippers (PDF) (2 pp, 668K, February 2016, EPA-420-F-16-007)
- Packaging Reduction for Shippers (PDF) (2 pp, 668K, February 2016, EPA-420-F-16-008)
- Route and Network Optimization for Shippers (PDF) (2 pp, 665K, February 2016, EPA-420-F-16-009)
- Endnotes for A Glance at Clean Freight Shipper Strategies (PDF) (7 pp, 35K, February 2016, EPA-420-B-16-041)
The Endnotes document includes citations for all references in the "A Glance at Clean Freight Strategies for Shippers" technical bulletin series.
Professional Association Links
Industry trade associations are a great resource for the most up-to-date information about these strategies.
- Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) Exit is a trade association that educates and advocates for the retail sector.
- The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Exit provides education, research, connections, and professional growth for supply chain professionals.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practice Guidance: Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Feature Partner Profiles: EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (email@example.com) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.