Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing Sector (NAICS 3254)
Pharmaceutical manufacturing is part of the manufacturing sector (NAICS 31 - 33). It consists of establishments primarily engaged in one or more of the following:
- manufacturing biological and medical products;
- processing botanical drugs and herbs;
- isolating active medical principles from botanical drugs and herbs;
- manufacturing pharmaceutical products intended for internal and external consumption in such forms as tablets, capsules, ointments, powders and solutions.
Laws and Regulations
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program
- Essential Uses of CFCs for Metered-Dose Inhalers
- National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP): Pharmaceutical Production Industry
- Stationary Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning
- Inorganic Chemical Manufacturing Statutory and Regulatory Summaries (191 pp, 1080 K, About PDF)
- Compliance Assistance Tool for Clean Air Act Regulations: Subpart GGG of 40 CFR NESHAPS for Source Category Pharmaceutical Production (260 pp, 6900 K, About PDF)
- Compliance Assistance Tool for Pharmaceutical Production, Pesticide Active Ingredient Production, and Miscellaneous Organic Chemical Manufacturing NESHAP: Comparison of Regulatory Requirements and Case Study Compliance Illustrations for Nondedicated Equipment (PDF) (85 pp, 1505 K, About PDF)
Policies and Guidance
Additional federal and state regulations not listed here may apply. Find your state environmental agency.
- Safer Choice Labeling: labeling program for variety of chemical-based products.
- Green Chemistry
- The Lean and Chemicals Toolkit: strategies and techniques for chemical manufacturing, management, and use.