Chemical Manufacturing Sector (NAICS 325)
Chemical Manufacturing is part of the Manufacturing Sector (NAICS 31 - 33). This sector covers the transformation of organic and inorganic raw materials by a chemical process and the formation of products.
Laws and Regulations
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program
- National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP):
- Benzene Waste Operations
- Cellulose Products Manufacturing
- Commercial Sterilizers
- Ferromanganese and Silicomanganese Production (Ferroalloys, Major Sources)
- Generic MACT (Acetal Resins, Hydrogen Fluoride, Polycarbonates Production, Acrylic/Modacrylic Fibers, Spandex Production, Carbon Black, and Ethylene Processes)
- Hazardous Organic NESHAP (Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturing Industry)
- Hydrochloric Acid Production (Fumed Silica Production)
- Industrial Cooling Towers
- Magnetic Tape (surface coating)
- Mercury Cell Chlor-Alkali Plants
- Misc. Coating Manufacturing
- Misc. Organic Chemical Production and Processes (MON)
- Organic Liquids Distribution (non-gasoline)
- Pesticide Active Ingredient Production
- Pharmaceuticals Production
- Phosphoric Acid/Phosphate Fertilizers
- Polyether Polyols Production
- Polymers & Resins I (Butyl Rubber, Epichlorohydrin Elastomers, Ethylene Propylene Rubber, Hypalon (TM), Neoprene, Nitrile Butadiene, Polybutadiene Rubber, Polysulfide, and Styrene-Butadiene Rubber and Latex)
- Polymers & Resins II (Epoxy Resins and Non-Nylon Polyamides)
- Polymers & Resins III (Amino and Phenolic Resins)
- Polymers & Resins IV (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene, Methyl Methacrylate-Acrylonitrile+, Methyl Methacrylate-Butadiene++, Polystyrene, Styrene Acrylonitrile, Polyethylene Terephthalate, and Nitrile Resins)
- Polyvinyl Chloride and Copolymers Production & Area Sources
- Primary Copper
- Reinforced Plastic Composites Production
- Site Remediation
- Tetrahydrobenzaldehyde Manufacture (Formerly Butadiene Dimers Production)
- Stratospheric Ozone Regulations:
- The Phaseout of Ozone Depleting Substances
- Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) Program: EPA's program to evaluate and regulate substitutes for the ozone-depleting chemicals.
- Chemical Data Reporting under the Toxic Substances Control Act: requirements for manufacturers and processors of existing chemicals.
- New Chemicals Program: chemicals new to the marketplace. Mandated by Section 5 of TSCA.
- Organic Chemicals, Plastics, and Synthetic Fibers (OCPSF): effluent guidelines.
- Pesticide Chemicals Effluent Guidelines
- Chemical Manufacturing Sector Compliance Assistance: including industry profiles, compliance assistance centers, and more.
- Combustion Portal: compliance assistance center.
Policies and Guidance
- Compliance Guidance for Industrial Process Refrigeration Leak Repairs Regulations Under Section 608 Clean Air Act
Related Technical Information
- AP 42 - Chapter 6: Organic Chemical Process Industry and Chapter 8: Inorganic Chemical Industry: emission factors and process information for air pollution source categories.
Additional federal and state regulations not listed here may apply. Find your state environmental agency.