WaterSense partners are ambassadors spreading the water-efficiency message. Partners help educate the public while transforming the marketplace to include WaterSense labeled products, new homes, and certification programs.
"WaterSense has provided us a credible brand that is easy to support and promote. It provides a sound messaging campaign when few of us can afford one of our own, assists in delivering the program to the public, and offers technical assistance as necessary."
WaterSense partnership is free! Signing a partnership agreement to join the program initiates the partnership and demonstrates your organization's commitment to WaterSense.
All partners are asked to:
- Promote the value of water efficiency and WaterSense labeled products, new homes, and programs
- Adhere to program guidelines
- Feature WaterSense on websites and related promotional materials
Ready to join WaterSense and access the free tools and resources the program offers? Please follow the steps below:
- Review the program guidelines (PDF)(32 pp, 568 K, About PDF)
- Select your partner type below and review the information provided.
- Follow the procedures described to complete a partnership agreement. Abide by the general terms and disclaimers outlined on the partnership agreement.
Please note: Organizations are prohibited from earning a profit from the use of WaterSense program tools and materials.
Upon issuance of specifications for new product categories, EPA will announce a timeline for organizations that produce products in those categories to join as partners. This timeline might be released with the draft or final specification depending upon the product category. All manufacturing partners must:
- Manufacture at least one WaterSense labeled product that will be sold in the US or Canada within 12 months of execution of a partnership agreement.
- Abide by the WaterSense Program Mark Guidelines. Specifically, all manufacturer partners must include the WaterSense label on product packaging for all products certified to meet a WaterSense specification unless the packaging is too small. Manufacturer partners must also display the WaterSense label in association with any labeled product listed on the organization's website or other promotional materials.
- Work with WaterSense licensed certifying bodies to notify EPA when new products earn the WaterSense label to ensure that the products appear on the list of WaterSense labeled products. This also includes products manufactured by the partner that are privately labeled by another company.
- Submit annual data.
- Note: Manufacturers of component parts of a labeled product category are not eligible to become WaterSense partners at this time.
Join now by completing a Manufacturers Partnership Agreement online.
- Retailers and Distributors
Upon issuance of specifications for new product categories, EPA will announce a timeline for organizations that sell products in those categories to join as partners. This timeline may be released with the draft or final specification depending on the product category. All retailer and distributor partners must:
- Sell, market, and encourage the use of WaterSense labeled products to customers in the United States or Canada within 12 months of execution of a partnership agreement.
- Sell products without requiring installation or consulting services. Types of eligible organizations include, but are not limited to, home improvement stores, hardware stores, appliance retailers and distributors, plumbing supply houses, decorator showrooms/specialty stores, and commercial irrigation distributors.
- Retailers or distributors wishing to sell WaterSense labeled products under their own brand (private labeled products) agree to work with the manufacturer(s) of any labeled products to ensure that both the retailer/distributor's and the manufacturer's information are included in the WaterSense certification file and that the WaterSense Program Mark Guidelines are followed.
- Submit annual data.
Join now by completing a Retailers and Distributors Partnership Agreement online.
- Promotional: Utilities, Water Districts, Trade Associations, Nonprofit Organizations, and Government Agencies (federal, state, and local agencies)
Promotional partners represent a diverse array of organizations who communicate directly with consumers. Partners are asked to:
- Help promote WaterSense labeled products, new homes, and programs to consumers and other organizations.
- Encourage eligible constituents to participate in WaterSense.
- Agree to provide a brief annual update about promotional activities involving water efficiency.
Join now by completing a Promotional Partnership Agreement online.
- Professional Certifying Organizations
Organizations that have a certification program in the United States for landscape irrigation professionals in irrigation system design, installation/maintenance, or auditing are eligible to apply for the WaterSense label.
Labeled organizations are asked to promote the value of water efficiency and WaterSense, inform certification candidates about WaterSense as an easy and desirable option for consumers to reduce water use and save money, and make WaterSense materials available to those professionals who earn a certification through a labeled program.
Apply for the WaterSense label by following the steps below:
- Review the specifications for certification programs and the WaterSense Professional Certification Program Labeling System to learn what criteria your organization and professional certification program must meet to be eligible.
- Submit a notification of interest form to tell EPA that your organization intends to apply for the WaterSense label. WaterSense will contact you to learn more about your program and assist you with the application process.
- Apply to have your program labeled by WaterSense as an EPA Approved Professional Certifying Organization or as an Adopting Professional Certifying Organization.
- After your program has earned the WaterSense label or your application to adopt a WaterSense labeled program has been approved, complete and submit a Professional Certifying Organization Partnership Agreement (writeable PDF)(3 pp, 108 K, About PDF).
- Submit your completed PDF format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (703) 841-1440.
Builders of single and multi-family homes who construct homes in accordance with the WaterSense specification are eligible to join as WaterSense partners. Partners are asked to:
- Build and certify at least one home to meet EPA's specification within one year of becoming a partner and at least one new home every year thereafter.
- Work with a Home Certification Organization to coordinate inspections of new homes to earn the label.
- Submit annual data.
Join now by completing a Builder Partnership Agreement online
- Home Certification Organizations
Certification organizations with a structure, processes, and procedures in place to conduct the verification, certification, and labeling of homes in accordance with the WaterSense Home Specification and WaterSense Labeled Home Certification System are eligible to apply for WaterSense recognition. Organizations must:
- Meet the responsibilities outlined in the WaterSense Labeled Home Certification System, apply to be approved, and sign a licensing agreement.
- Oversee the certification and issuance of the WaterSense label to eligible homes.
- Notify EPA quarterly of any homes that have been certified to earn the WaterSense label.