Additional Outdoor Resources
Here are some additional resources to help you learn more about water-smart landscaping and water-saving technologies. Your local water utility, landscaping and irrigation service providers, cooperative extension services, nurseries and garden centers can provide guidance about water-smart practices that are best for your region.
Outdoor Webinar Series
WaterSense and the Alliance for Water Efficiency are coordinating to hold outdoor water use webinars that are focused on outdoor water use. All webinars are recorded for on-demand viewing.
WaterSense and EPA Resources
- Learn the basics of water-smart landscape design (PDF)(14 pp, 2.33 MB, About PDF).
- Learn more about how landscapes can benefit from microirrigation with WaterSense guides for irrigation professionals or homeowners.
- Find out how Your Yard Can Be Greener (PDF) (4 pp, 615 K, About PDF) with EPA's abbreviated guide for water–smart landscapes.
- Find out how to reduce your pool's water consumption with the WaterSense pool water efficiency guide.
- Best management practices on outdoor water use for large landscapes can also be found in WaterSense at Work.
- EPA’s Soak up the Rain program has information on how to use stormwater practices that can also create sustainable, water-smart landscapes.
- EPA’s Green Infrastructure program has information on stormwater practices that may align with water-efficiency goals at the site and community level.
- The Landscape for Life website, a collaboration between the Colorado State University Extension and U.S. Botanic Garden, has comprehensive information on creating a sustainable landscape.
- Alliance for Water Efficiency Resource Library for more information on outdoor water efficiency.
- American Society of Landscape Architects has resources on sustainable residential design.
- San Diego’s Sustainable Landscape Guidelines provide best practices for a watershed approach to landscaping and can be useful for other parts of the country.
- U.S. Golf Association’s Golf’s Use of Water Resource Center for information about how golf facilities and golfers can support more sustainable use of water resources.