Tools and Resources
WaterSense has developed resources to help builders and other professionals in the building industry learn about the features that help to make a home more water-efficient. While many of the tools on this page were developed to support Version 1 of the Homes specification, and include language that speaks to its requirements, the information can still be useful to building professionals. Looking forward, WaterSense will be updating and revising these tools to respond to changes made for Version 2 of the program.
WaterSense Labeled Homes Quick Reference Guide
While some ofthe content is specific to Version 1 of the program, the WaterSense Labeled Homes Quick Reference Guide(8 pp, 872 K, About PDF) provides quick access to the most frequently requested information about water efficiency features that can be incorporated into WaterSense labeled homes.
Resource Manual for WaterSense Labeled Homes
EPA developed the Resource Manual for WaterSense Labeled Homes(75 pp, 1.38 MB, About PDF) to assist builders in understanding and implementing water-efficient features and design inside and outside their homes. Builders seeking the WaterSense label and builders looking to adopt water-efficient technologies and techniques will find helpful advice and guidance in this manual.
The Water Energy Nexus
Energy efficiency is the top reason green homes are requested, yet not everyone realizes the connection between saving water and saving energy. The drops-to-watts connection adds a powerful appeal to WaterSense labeled homes. View our other infographic on the energy in water.
Efficient Hot Water Distribution
Hot water distributions systems are a critical part of a home and have a profound impact on its water and energy consumption for decades. For many builders though, they also represent one of the biggest challenges for water efficiency in a home. WaterSens has developed tools to help design more efficient hot water delivery systems.
- Hot Water Distribution Product and System Design Solutions
- Guide for Efficient Hot Water Distribution(28 pp, 854 K, About PDF).
- Hot Water Distribution Volume Calculator - helps calculate how much water a distribution system will store based on pipe characteristics and run length: Hot Water Distribution Volume Calculator: ws-homes-hw-volume-tool.xlsm (xlsm)
WaterSense Water Budget Tool and Landscape Solutions
Outdoor water use can make up much of a home’s annual water use depending on where the home is located and how the landscape is designed.
- Landscape Design and Irrigation System Solutions
- WaterSense Water Budget Tool, used for landscape planning, is also a useful resource to ensure a measure of efficiency and regional suitability for the amount of water applied to a landscape based on local climate data.
- Directory of irrigation professionals certified by a WaterSense labeled program can design, install, or audit your irrigation system to ensure water efficiency.