WaterSense Labeled Homes Program
The WaterSense label is an important part of a whole-house solution to save water, energy, and money while ensuring customer satisfaction. The WaterSense Labeled Homes Program provides flexibility to builders while still meeting consumer expectations for water efficiency and performance.
On this Page:
Specification for Homes
In February 2021, EPA released the WaterSense Specification for Homes, Version 2.0. The specification ensures that WaterSense labeled homes are at least 30 percent more water-efficient than a comparable home using typical new construction and also meet homeowner expectations for performance. The specification provides flexibility in meeting WaterSense’s technical requirements without compromising on overall water efficiency or performance, improves collaboration with green certification programs, and allows for easier implementation and certification. The specification is applicable to single-family homes and multifamily buildings.
- WaterSense Specification for Homes, Version 2.0 (PDF) (4 pp, 156 K, About PDF)
- WaterSense Specification for Homes, Version 2.0 Supporting Statement (PDF) (17 pp, 211 K, About PDF)
- Response to Public Comments Received on the Draft of the WaterSense Labeled Homes Program, Version 2 (PDF)(52 pp, 847 K, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet - WaterSense Labeled Homes Program, Version 2 (PDF) (2 pp, 698 K, About PDF)
To confirm that homes are at least 30 percent more water-efficient than a comparable home using typical new construction, EPA evaluates a Home Certification Organization's (HCO) certification methods according to its technical evaluation process:
- WaterSense Technical Evaluation Process for Approving Home Certification Methods, Version 1.0 (PDF) (39 pp, 495 K, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet - Ensuring WaterSense Labeled Homes Deliver on Efficiency (PDF) (2 pp, 595 K, About PDF)
To confirm that homes meet an approved HCO certification method, the WaterSense Homes Certification System requires a home to be inspected by a verifier and certified by the HCO.
WaterSense held a webinar on May 5, 2021, to provide an overview of Version 2 of the WaterSense Labeled Homes Program. Register here to listen to the webinar.
For more information about the previous versions of the WaterSense Labeled Homes Program and the Version 2.0 specification development process, including the draft specification and supporting materials, summaries of stakeholder meetings, public response to the draft specification and supporting materials, and EPA's response to the public comments, please visit the Homes Specification Background page.