Product Specification Review
The America’s Water Infrastructure Act of 2018, signed on October 24, 2018, formally authorized the WaterSense program. This law also requires that, by December 31, 2019, EPA must “consider for review and revise, if necessary, any WaterSense performance criteria adopted before January 1, 2012.” As a result, several WaterSense specifications—including those for tank-type toilets, lavatory faucets and faucet accessories, showerheads, flushing urinals, and weather-based irrigation controllers—are currently under review for potential improvements to water efficiency and/or product performance.
In December 2018, WaterSense issued a Notice of Specification Review to inform the public of the specifications under review and to invite stakeholders to provide feedback. The notice provides general criteria for reviewing WaterSense specifications, summarizes the current specifications and market for each product category, and offers general questions for stakeholders to consider when providing feedback. It also discusses the revision process and tentative timeline for EPA’s adherence to this law.
On February 14, 2019, EPA held a teleconference and webinar with stakeholders to discuss the Notice of Specification Review.
- Notice of Specification Review Public Meeting Presentation (PDF) (58 pp, 1.4 MB, About PDF)
- View Webinar Recording (registration required) Exit
- Notice of Specification Review Public Meeting Webinar Summary (PDF) (12 pp, 395 K, About PDF)
Additional Stakeholder Webinars
EPA is hosting a series of webinars targeted to specific stakeholder groups to discuss information collected to date and focus in greater depth on topics and issues related to each product category. These webinars are open to all stakeholders but are targeted towards manufacturer and utility partners that would be impacted by specification revisions. Call-in details and other meeting information will be emailed upon registering.
- Webinar for Plumbing Fitting (faucet and showerhead) Manufacturers: April 24, 2019
- Webinar for Plumbing Fixture (tank-type toilet and flushing urinal) Manufacturers: May 9, 2019
- Webinar for Weather-Based Irrigation Controller Manufacturers: May 16, 2019
- WaterSense Weather-Based Irrigation Controller Manufacturers Meeting Presentation (PDF) (31 pp, 542 K, About PDF)
- WaterSense Weather-Based Irrigation Controller Manufacturers Meeting Summary (PDF) – Coming May 30
- View Webinar Recording (registration required)Exit
- Webinar for Utilities and Promotional Partners: June 5, 2019, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern. Register.Exit
Compiled comments received to date on the Notice of Specification Review are provided below.
EPA’s comment period ended on March 15, 2019. However, if you have comments or information relevant to any of the specifications being considered for revision, please submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that all comments, except data claimed as confidential business information (CBI), become a part of the public record. In the case that comments are CBI, they can be submitted as such through EPA’s contractor, Eastern Research Group, Inc. (ERG). Sensitive business information can be claimed confidential under 40 CFR Part 2, Subpart B. ERG has an EPA-approved security plan in place to protect CBI from unauthorized disclosure. All data submitted as confidential will be handled as such. CBI should not be submitted electronically but can be submitted as a hardcopy document or on a CD, DVD, or flash drive. Data submitted as CBI will not become a part of the public record unless aggregated and masked to conceal the identity of the submitter. Data claimed as CBI should be submitted to:
Eastern Research Group, Inc.,
Attn: WaterSense Helpline,
2300 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 350,
Arlington, VA 22201