Region 8 Targeted Brownfields Assessments
A Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) is an environmental investigation that documents environmental conditions at a property under consideration for redevelopment or reuse. These are conducted at no cost to communities requesting assistance. Applications are accepted and assessments are performed throughout the year. Assistance may include one or more of the following activities:
- Phase I environmental site assessment, including a background and historical investigation and a preliminary property inspection.
- Phase II environmental site assessment, including sampling activities to identify the types and concentrations of contaminants and the areas of contamination.
- Cleanup options and cost estimates based on anticipated future uses and redevelopment plans.
TBA Applicant Considerations
- Unit of government
- Non-profit organization
- Private party sponsored by an eligible applicant
- Property must meet definition of a Brownfields site: Real property whose reuse is complicated by real or perceived contamination.
Properties not eligible for funding
- Properties listed, or proposed for listing, under the Superfund National Priorities List.
- Facilities subject to U.S. EPA unilateral administrative orders, court orders, administrative orders on consent, or judicial consent decrees issued to, or entered into, by parties under CERCLA.
- Facilities that are subject to the jurisdiction, custody or control of the United States Government.
- Some ineligible properties may be eligible with a “property specific determination.” Contact EPA for more information.
- TBA deliverables developed are public documents, releasable under the Freedom of Information Act. EPA provides deliverables to the applicant and keeps them on file.
- Deliverables will take 1 to 6+ months to complete based on project complexity and overall workload.
- Applicant agrees to provide EPA with project information and photos when the site is redeveloped, including information on:
- dollars leveraged
- jobs created
- environmental benefits, such as reduction in vehicle miles traveled, water quality improvement, etc.
Attention: Before You Start
You cannot save a partially completed form for later retrieval; the TBA Application form below must be completed in one session.
Prepare to fill out the application form by completing the Pre-Application Checklist.
Completely fill out the Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) Application below using your completed Pre-Application Checklist.
EPA Region 8 accepts applications for environmental assessment assistance at brownfields properties on an ongoing basis. To request Region 8’s technical assistance, please complete this application. The information provided will be evaluated to determine if the applicant and site meet the selection criteria for the TBA program. EPA will also evaluate whether funding is available to perform the requested assessment within the desired schedule. Applicants will be contacted promptly after this review.