Frequently Asked Questions About Multipurpose, Assessment, RLF, and Cleanup Grants
EPA prepared these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and answers to assist prospective applicants with preparing Brownfields Multipurpose, Assessment, Revolving Loan Fund (RLF), and Cleanup Grant proposals.
Current Brownfield Grant recipients may also benefit from FAQs that are related to general program policies and are not specific to a competition cycle. Recipients should note, however, that their cooperative agreement Terms and Conditions and the FAQs issued for the fiscal year they applied for Brownfields Grant funding supersede subsequent FAQs in the event of a conflict.
If the information in the FAQs differs from information in the statute, regulation, or the Guidelines, then the statute, regulation or the Guidelines will take precedence. The FAQs will be updated periodically as we continue to receive questions.
FY 2023 Frequently Asked Questions about Multipurpose, Assessment, Revolving Loan Fund, and Cleanup Grants (pdf)
The FY23 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers were updated on 10/20/22 to include the following items:
- A.2. Why is EPA reissuing the solicitation for the FY23 Community-wide Assessment Grants for States and Tribes?
- A.3. How should I present my response to criterion 3.a.ii. Identifying Additional Sites since the suggested table does not include that information?
- C.16. The last sentence of criterion 3.a.ii Identifying Additional Sites, requires applicants for FY23 Brownfields Multipurpose Grants, Assessment Grants, and RLF Grants to "Identify the criteria that will be used to prioritize additional sites for selection, including criteria that consider underserved communities." What are EPA's expectations of applicants that are selected to receive funding with regards to identifying additional sites among underserved communities?
- D.4. Must I consider price when procuring a qualified environmental professional?
- D.12. What is EPA's position on hiring a particular consulting firm or other contractor?
- E.10. How does EPA's Brownfields Program define birth defects?
- F.2. How does the Brownfields Program determine if an entity is an agency or instrumentality or affiliated with another entity?
- J.11. (updated) Can a city and a redevelopment agency from the same city be coalition members even though they are from the same city?
- K.8. Can the geographic boundary of an RLF Grant cross multiple state and EPA Regional boundaries?
The FY23 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers were updated on 9/26/22 to include the following items:
- C.15. What sorts of scenarios might be considered displacement?
- F.4. Is non-profit organization that does not have a 501(c)(3) Federal tax- exempt status eligible for a Brownfields Grant?
FY 2022 Frequently Asked Questions about Multipurpose, Assessment, Revolving Loan Fund, and Cleanup Grants (pdf)
FY 2021 Frequently Asked Questions about Multipurpose, Assessment, Revolving Loan Fund, and Cleanup Grants (pdf)